a book blog

This post is dedicated the book I am reading on my Reading course.
*Robert Chernow is an American writer, journalist, historian, and biographer.

Ronald Chernow
Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller

I was always curious how did people start their own way and managed to get so high they benefited humanity. So sometimes I prefer spend my free time reading biographies of successful people. While reading the title of this book it seemed to me that it is going to be not a narration of John Rockefeller`s life but will be more literature style of narration, that would be easier to read. The book contains  lot of analysis of the way some individuals of the society of that time accepted his personality and what they could find strange, sometimes it isn`t so interesting. This book would be more interesting for those who understands economics, as there are plenty of descriptions of the economic state.

There is much
information about his family, the family tree was presented after the author`s words. A foreword was also given which was very informative: the author reflects on how John D.R. was remembered by his contemporaries, and how many conflicting sides of the personality mix in his name. Also, the aim of Robert Chernow was indicated at his foreword, he wanted to publish a new version of John R. biography, the argument is the biographies published before the mid-century betray minimal post-Freudian curiosity. "Rockefeller`s social life beyond the office - his friendships, hobbies, sports, et cetera - has suffered from equally conspicuous
neglect" (Ron Ch.) 



 I can recommend it to any person who thinks about the quality of our life and its perspectives. But the reader has to be a very experienced one, the author’s language is complicated and full of ,sometimes unusual, epithets and other literary techniques. I would rather say it will be useful for those who speak the language this book was written in, for professional purposes. 




[ Sorry, but it is impossible to put a picture of this book/ a cover due to the system error, I tried many times:
Подробности:
Запрашиваемая функция недоступна. Повторите попытку позже.
                                                                                                            ]
 

Комментарии

  1. This post is dedicated the book I am reading on my Reading course: preposition is missing after "dedicated"
    Also, reading ON my reading course is incorrect
    prefer spend my free time: TO is missing
    curious how did people start their own way: here you need to use an indirect question w/o the auxiliary verb
    interesting for those who understands: WVerb form

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Liza, you explained well who the book you have reviewed could be interesting to and have given a brief summary of it. I liked that you explained who this book can be interesting for and mentioned some peculiarities of the author's language

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. But you should be more careful with your use of the language: pay attention to the problems with it I mentioned in the beginning of my commentary

    ОтветитьУдалить

Отправить комментарий